Friday, August 31, 2018

Lisa Loeb

One Liner: Yes, that Reality Bites Song lady.  But now doing Kiddie Limits songs.
Wikipedia Genre: Pop, rock, children's music
Home: Dallas

Poster Position: 30
Day: Sunday at 4:30
Weekend One Only.

Thoughts: Oh, man.  I loved the Reality Bites soundtrack.  I know I wasn't alone, but that thing ruled.  Squeeze!  Frampton!  The spin the bottle song that a girlfriend put on a mixtape!  And this track.
I used many songs from that soundtrack on mix tapes for lady friends, but I can guarantee you that this one was the #1 song used.  Greatness. "I Do," from 1997's Firecracker, also rings a bell.

That being said, I don't think I've ever listened to an entire Loeb album, except for an album of kiddie songs that someone gave us when our kids were little.  And our kids freaking LOVED IT.  She had a run of "regular" tunes - 1992's The Purple Tape, 1997's Firecracker, 2002's Cake and Pie, 2002's Hello Lisa - but then in 2007 she released Catch the Moon, which is that album that we own.  Our kids would request the "Big Rock Candy" song, and it was from this album, that features a bunch of classics, like "Big Rock Candy Mountain," "Little Red Caboose," and "Oh Susanna."  She came back to making normal music later, as well as other kiddie tunes, but the booking for ACL this year is at the Kiddie Limits stage, so I would expect that we are getting "The Disappointing Pancake" versus "Do You Sleep."

The top track from that 2007 album that I love is "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star," but I like "Big Rock Candy Mountain" better because my kids did too.
Isn't that nice?  Quite lovely.  And then, she has a 2017 album called Lisa Loeb's Silly Sing Along: The Disappointing Pancake, and Other Zany Songs.  The most streamed from that one is called "I'm a Little Coconut."
Sounds perfect for little kids to bounce around to while their parents pound wine in a can and watch their watches to see when Grandma is coming to fetch Junior so that they can go get crunk to Travis Scott.  

I'm gonna go ahead and crown this the finest of what Kiddie Limits has to offer.  Enjoy!

No comments: