Friday, August 17, 2018

Lewis Capaldi

One Liner: Strong-voiced blue-eyed soul from Scotland.
Wikipedia Genre: Pop
Home: Glasgow, Scotland

Poster Position: 16

Day: 12:45 on Friday
Both Weekends.

Thoughts: Another one without a proper album, just some singles and remixes - which makes me insane.  When I'm trying out a new band, I usually just throw on their top ten most popular tracks and let Spotify roll son down through everything, to get one listen through without trying to aim for anything specific.  Well, when you have a guy like this, that means I have heard "Tough" eight times in the past 30 minutes, and now I want to go jump through a window.
It just fine as a song - one of those Vance Joy-type vaguely pleasant, very earnest indie rock tunes.  But hearing it in slightly remixed form repeatedly will make you lose your shit.  I'm going to suggest this be used at Guantanamo.  I kid, the song is just fine, but I can't hear it again right now.  The regular version of that tune has only 3.4 million streams.

His more popular tune, by many magnitudes, is "Bruises," with 69.9 million streams.  This one can be found on his one EP, Bloom, from 2017.
This one sounds a little more like Hozier or someone a little more soulful.  Or like Sam Smith but with a rough edge to his voice.   According to Wikipedia, this "song quickly amassed close to 28 million plays on Spotify worldwide making him the fastest ever unsigned artist to reach 25 million plays on the platform."  Pretty cool.  Not sure why he got so many streams for that song.

This stuff is fine, but it suffers from some sameness - basic tunes and sparse arrangements covered up by his belted voice.  Generally good, but I don't think I'd go to the show.

No comments: