Friday, August 24, 2018

Natalie Prass

One Liner: Funky indie singer songwriter with a great voice
Wikipedia Genre: singer-songwriter (I'd go further and call it jazz indie or indie rock)
Home: Richmond, Virginia

Poster Position: 18
Day: Friday at Noon.
Both Weekends.

Thoughts: The photo she used for Spotify gave me some hope for this one.  Kind of an unadorned Anne Hathaway-look with an ugly sport coat and a maroon bowtie.  Maybe this is going to be some winkingly ironic indie rock buzz?  Nope.  Kinda jazzy adult alternative type stuff with great vocals though, so I'll go with it.

Two albums, 2015;s Natalie Prass and 2018's The Future and the Past.  The top track is from that older album, called "Bird of Prey," and boasting 5.3 million streams.
Interesting tune.  Jazzy groove, and then the horns and flutes popping up and her bright voice singing about running away from you.  I like it.  Her second most streamed tune is from the new album, and is called "Short Court Style," 3.1 million streams.
Again, a pretty voice buttressed by a light-touch groove making an overall cheery tune.

Some of the tunes sound kinda like Jewel.  Some of them sound kinda like Haim ("The Fire").  Being that I just heard The Revolution for a while, "Oh My" reminds me of some Prince-esque funk.  Her very limited Wikipedia entry shows that she went to Berklee College of Music for a bit, but then transferred out to finish at Middle Tennessee State?  Weird move.  She's been hailed by Pitchfork and Rolling Stone and NPR and others as an artist to watch and the critics loved her debut album.  She apparently had a new album all ready when the 2016 election happened and it rocked her world - ditched all those songs and started over, working to make a record that would lift everyone out of their collective funk.  "Sisters" is a good rallying cry for the ladies of the world.

Oh damn.  She does a cover of Janet Jackson's "Any Time, Any Place" that is so damn smoooove and sexy I just had to pause my work and drop down to my knees. This is actually the first song Spotify has listed for her, which is an odd introduction to the world, a soulful, lite-jazz cover.  Yummy though.

I'd probably give this a shot.  Its just funky enough to keep my attention.  That is, if I can manage to be at the park at noon on Friday (which is a hard sell...).

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

some seriously smooth jams. I'm in.