Friday, August 24, 2018

Sofi Tukker

One Liner: Electronic dance music for the dumbing down of America
Wikipedia Genre: House, EDM
Home: NYC

Poster Position: 11
Day: Saturday at 4:30
Weekend One Only.

Thoughts: I've got my rude britches on today or something.  Listen to this tune, "Batshit," with their third-most streams (11.5 million), and let me know the words that involuntarily came out of your mouth at 0:45:
Because if you said "Oh Dear God, that sucks," then you and I are special spirit animals and you should Venmo me your money.  I get it, this isn't being made to challenge Bob Dylan for lyrical superiority, but it feels more like two kids were raised on nothing but Right Said Fred b-sides (not even the good shit) and grew up to make this song as their dance music anthem.  And don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that this stage will likely be packed with loads of Adderall-addled kiddies yelling the delicious curse word, but it doesn't mean I have to sign up for this shit.

A 2016 EP (Soft Animals), then a 2018 album Treehouse, with a million remixes and singles in the middle.  The band name comes from the two members' first names, Sophie and Tucker.  I'm gonna give you two more songs, because these each have something about them that is slightly interesting.  First, "Drinkee," was somehow nominated for a 2017 Grammy for Best Dance Recording.  Which is terrifying.
53.2 million streams.  Hard to imagine how I would like "Batshit" better than something else in their catalog, but its true.  Also, Wikipedia claims that this was "adapted from a poem written by the Brazilian poet, Chacal," and "sung sensually."  The video may be a little sensuous, with her handling of that guitar and dancing, but the singing is more like a jibberish rap by someone who is choking on a marble.  

Final track is called "Best Friend," and it was featured in an Apple commercial for the iPhone X.  47.9 million streams.
Yeah, OK, that sounds sorta familiar.  It was also featured in the 2018 version of the FIFA video game.  The best ever use of a song in a FIFA game was the one they had in like 1998 or so, where the intro to the game was Blur's "Song #2" and it made me want to chew through a steel girder with excitement.

Dance party?  Yes.  I can definitely see this show being a fun ass dance party.  Lyrically interesting?  Negative.  Nothing on here appears to be serious at all, just built for a good time.  Is that so wrong?  Not at all, but I doubt I'd use one of my precious band-watching slots to do this.

No comments: