Friday, August 24, 2018

Bazzi

One Liner: Generic R&B guy made famous by a meme
Wikipedia Genre: Pop, R&B
Home: Detroit

Poster Position: 8
Day: Saturday at 5:30
Both Weekends

Thoughts: Oh, hey, I know that song!  This is one of those dudes with one mega hit, and then nothing anywhere nearly as large.  "Mine" is his most popular song, and while I don't know where I heard it, I've definitely heard it repeatedly.  399.4 million streams.
Oh.  The explicit lyrics take that one a little different direction.  I guess the sentiment is the same, homie is pumped about having her in his life and all.  Wikipedia says that this song "gained popularity in early 2018 when it became an Internet meme through the use of a Snapchat lens filter with the song."  My dear Lord, I am so old.  What do those words even mean, when strung together in that fashion?  After 3 minutes of further research, I can send you here to see some examples, but they're pretty damn dumb, so I'm not entirely sure that you should use your time in this way.  This article explains more about how and why this meme thing led to popularity, but it honestly just sounds like weird luck and a cool story.

But, read this guy's quote about his hit song: "Speaking to Billboard about why he thinks the 2 minute 14 second long track struck a chord with music lovers around the world, Bazzi explained, "I think it almost forces the listener to hear the whole thing. I wanted people to really dissect what I was saying in those two minutes rather than giving them a little too much. I definitely think there’s something special and revolutionary about that.” "  What a freaking idiot.  Something "special" and "revolutionary" about making a short song?  Because its going to focus a listener's attention?  Holy shit.  Maybe next time he should make a 30 second song to REALLY help the listener dissect the deep meaning in his garbage tunes.

Anyway, his sudden meme-inspired fame means that this guy's mediocre R&B stylings are now thrust into the limelight for everyone to enjoy!  Hooray!  He got a remix with Camila Cabello (which will likely be reprised at the Fest since she will be there as well), and he's got one album (2018's COSMIC) with 16 tracks of tunes I don't want to hear anymore.

Wikipedia says that he used to be a Vine star as well, with over 1.5 million followers and featured songs on the platform.  So that is a second Vine star on this year's poster.  Also, he is opening for Camilla Cabello and Justin Timberlake on their 2018 tours.  So maybe I'm all alone in thinking that his music is not great.

That tune with the Cabello remix is the second-most streamed tune in his catalog (this is the album version, without the remix).  101.9 million streams.  None of his other songs get close to those numbers.
Yuck, man.  Here's that chorus: 
"Hey
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful angel
Love your imperfections every angle
Tomorrow comes and goes before you know
So I just had to let you know."  

SO DEEP.  "Hey hot chick!  You look messed up every way I look at you, but I like it anyway!  I lose track of time so I just wanted to make sure you know I love how bad you look!"
You get similar treacly garbage in songs like "Dreams."  These lyrics make me cringe.  "I had a dream about you last night, your eyes were shinin' so bright. Those lips and that bittersweet smile. I need this for ever. Beautiful dream yeah yeah, don't know what it means yeah yeah, all I know is I don't know, but I need this forever."  I was going to try to list all the song with bad lyrics, but after writing all of the song names out, I decided I could just be more general.  This is all bad.

I blame Post Malone for all of these dudes who half rap/half sing over beats, and don't do either side especially well.  I know Post Malone is gigantic right now, so obviously there are a ton of people who are thirsty for this style of music, but not for me.

No comments: