One Liner: Confessional bedroom indie pop with good lyrics and a vocal style I dislike
Poster Position: Second Quarter - Line 7
Weekend Two Only.
Friday at 2:30
T-Mobile Stage
Thoughts: Her music is stressing me out. For a little while, I was like, OK, this is going to be better! Just some indie music for a change will be really nice! She uses a guitar! But she has a tone to her singing voice that grates my nerves, a way that she switches tones. It's not vibrato, she's not warbling, but somehow there is a wahwahwahwah quality going on here that makes it so that I am having trouble continuing to work as she keeps singing.
Bella Kathleen Ann Williams was born in Houston, but graduated high school from Vista Ridge in Cedar Park (north of Austin). She now apparently lives in Orlando. As a teen she wrote her own tunes and shared little snippets recorded in her bedroom online. Her debut single hit the charts and she has since been asked to open for Noah Kahan and Gracie Abrams, which are both pretty large. Some songs with big stream counts too.
That first single was "The Sick" with 157.1 million streams.
She almost has a country twang in that one, under the warble. Lyrically, I get the attraction, but I just can't do the voice. Her biggest song was "iloveitiloveitiloveit" with 352.3 million streams and a really difficult to type name.
Again, lyrically, that really works well with the emotions and description of that feeling. Around 2:20, she starts singing softly and you can hear that she is able to remove that affectation from her voice. I prefer that for sure. Doubt I would go watch this.
No comments:
Post a Comment