Thursday, August 27, 2026

Skye Newman

One Liner:  Brit R&B Belter following the Winehouse model

Wikipedia Genre:  Neo soul, R&B, pop, indie rock
Home: L.A. (via Mississippi)

Poster Position: Second Quarter - Line 9.
Both Weekends. 
Saturday at 3:30

SnapChat Stage

Thoughts:  Doing that Amy Winehouse brassy blowout belting thing here with a good number of cuss words and a heavy Brit accent.  Sounds sort of like I am dissing it, but I find that I like this sort of R&B more than the American style.  It's not my favorite thing ever, but it has me grooving along a little bit.  I like that she is also singing about real things.

I like that Wikipedia calls her a singer/songwriter.  In my mind, a singer-songwriter is holding a guitar and singing a simple, folky-style tune.  Not belting lyrics about being high and you being annoying.  But also, her Wikipedia entry is very short.  Pretty much mentions two singles and then says her aunt was a jazz and blues singer who influenced her.

A handful of singles that were later collected into a 2025 EP called SE9 Part 1, and then the 2026 eight-song-"single" Woman I Am, which again collected those songs together.  "Hairdresser" was her first big one, 30.2 million streams.

As a novice to the world of smoking, I'm curious how she does that thing where the smoke puffs out for a sec, gets sucked back away, and then comes blowing out.  Kinda cool looking.  That song is less appealing to me though, more of a traditional R&B tune.  "My Addiction" is more my speed I think.  But the other big streamer is "Family Matters" with 41.3 million.

Again, pretty standard R&B sort of thing for that one.  I guess those are the ones people like!  I probably would not go see this one, but I was surprised to find that some of the songs resonated.

No comments: