Sunday, August 30, 2026

Leon Knight

One Liner:  Dave Chapelle copying Prince and Rick James at the same time

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia.  He called it Unc Core or Unc Funk, I think it sounds like Dave Chapelle.
Home: Woodbridge, VA (I think)

Poster Position: Bottom Quarter - Line 25
Weekend Two Only
Friday at 1:45

BMI Stage

Thoughts: I just pulled this one up on Spotify, clicked play on the first song, and then saw his photo on the cover of that top single.  Absolutely looks like Dave Chappelle playing Prince and Rick James at the same time.  And the song sort of sounds like dime store Prince too.  Made me laugh out loud.  There are more songs in here that also sound like dime store Prince - "I Don't Care About Your Man" being another prime example.

The year of Leon, with Kings of Leon, Leon Thomas, and this guy.  Wikipedia thinks Leon Knight is an English football striker who has played for fifteen different clubs spanning five different countries.  Meanwhile, this guy has an article in actual Newsweek.  Who knew that Newsweek was still out there publishing articles?  I did not.  They call his music "Unc Core."  Which is so very very cringe.  He first got into music after sneaking around his father's music studio, and when his dad realized the boy's genuine interest, Knight started messing around and creating soul-heavy samples and beats.  That being said, a lot of this has serious guitar heroics splashing around all over it.  This is not just rap beats (although those are in here sometimes), and although the web says that he is part of a rap collective called 5enses.

This guy is in to some trippy shit too.  "Hello" from his 2019 Virginity single (really a 6 song EP) sounds like a little kid found the mic and read a script written by Bjork while another kid walked on a synthesizer.  Has 1,103 streams on Spotify, so a pretty niche moment, I suppose.  Just one album, 2023's Can It Please Be Tomorrow? and a few singles after that.  The confusing bit of many of the singles is that they are credited to someone else, with him just appearing on them.  Ebony Beach Club, On the Radar, you know, super famous groups like that.

His top track, by a lot, is "Yes I Do," with someone called DE'WAYNE.  267k streams (and that Prince sound I mentioned above).

In the interview mentioned above, he said that before they shot that video, he went down to a little suit shop in NYC to get everyone hooked up with some sequins.  Hotness.  Oh, I kinda figured Leon was the taller/skinnier one, but that is DE'WAYNE.  I also enjoy "Winnie the Pooh" because he sings about wearing only a shirt and eating out that honey jar.  That is his second-biggest streamer with 68k.

I have a feeling that he is not supposed to be creating AI videos of the Winnie the Pooh friends twerking.  Feels like the Disney folks may not love that.

You know, this guy is pretty fun.  I can call him the dime store Prince all I want, but at least that is better than no Prince at all.  He's out here having a good time and slaying the guitar while making good songs to boogie to.  Go get 'em, Leon.

No comments: