Sunday, August 30, 2026

Common People

One Liner:  Cage the Elephant guitarist's pet project sounds like Cage

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, this is alternative rock, indie rock, garage rock
Home: L.A.

Poster Position: Bottom Quarter - Line 22.
Weekend Two Only. 
Saturday at 3:30

BMI Stage

Thoughts:  ah, the sweet sweet bliss of regular ass rock and roll.  These guys actually sound a lot like Wars on Drugs for several of these songs, but mainly they sound like Cage the Elephant.  Common People is a single by Pulp and the episode name for a Black Mirror episode in season 7.  I won't say it is a great band name.

They came from all around the country, but met up in L.A. at USC and bonded over music, jamming together in a basement as they learned the ropes and played the scene in L.A.  An early demo made its way to the Cage the Elephant guitarist and he signed them to his label.  They got to open for Cage, which is a pretty sweet perk of signing with the guitarist's label, and then they got to also open for Rainbow Kitten Surprise.  From what I can tell, they have all now graduated from USC, but they all met through their fraternity, Lambda Chi Alpha.  Pretty sweet.  My fraternity just pounded gross beer on a disgustingly stained couch in a mud pit near a fig tree, while these guys got to open for Cage the freaking Elephant.

No albums, just a handful of singles and EPs.  Their opening single, released in 2025, has their most streams with 431k.  "Thank You."

The boys went out to the Great Salt Lake. Good song.  And yeah, that one sounds like Cage.  I always hate it when people put their guitars in the water.  Maybe it doesn't hurt them, I don't really know about the care and feeding of an electric guitar, but I feel sad to see something ruined.  "Dear Worry" is from their most recent 2026 EP and have 206k streams so far.

Again, that one sounds good too.  This is pretty regular ass rock and roll, but it gets me bopping my head along to it and enjoying the vibe.  I would definitely go watch this band do their thing, to the extent they won't be at noon on Sunday.



No comments: