Sunday, August 30, 2026

Bad Nerves

One Liner:  Excellent power punk pop from England

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but punk, rock and roll, awesomeness
Home: Essex, England

Poster Position: Third Quarter - Line 13.
Weekend Two Only. (NOOOOOOOOOOOO!)
Sunday at 3:30

BeatBox Stage

Thoughts:  Oh, Thank God this isn't more dream pop.  This is some of that fire, sloppy, pop-rock punk stuff like White Reaper or FIDLAR who have shown up here before.  Their Spotify bio made me grin: "The bastard child of a Ramones/Strokes one night stand, they play ferociously fast distorted pop songs, with melodies that hook so deep, even the most skilled lobotomist would struggle to scrape them out."  I am just personally so pleased to hear fuzzy, angry guitars and pounding drums instead of another soft-focus synth song.  So good.

Billie Joe Armstrong called them the best band in England right now.  They recently completed opening gigs for Green Day, Royal Blood, Weezer, The Hives, and The Darkness, so they've definitely got friends in the same zone.  They also have a live album in this mix, and I dig it because it is raw as hell.  You can hear them screwing things up but also tearing the roof off of it.  Lead singer Bobby Nerves just wails all around over the top of the pounding tunes.  Here is a great quote from him: "I always sang as a kid. When we started the band, I didn’t want to sound like a British twerp. I wanted to find a sound that I liked. The sound is kind of nasily. To get that tone, you have to kind of sing the wrong way. You have to hit these high notes."  A British twerp!

Two albums - 2020's Bad Nerves and 2024's Still Nervous.  Top streamers are from the first album, but let's do one of each.  "Can't Be Mine" from the first album has 14.2 million streams.

It takes all of two seconds of silence before they come at you like a pack of feral dogs.  I just got goosebumps watching the drummer murder that kit.  What a fun song.  I'm watching these dudes for sure.  The top song off of the new disc is "Don't Stop" with 7.6 million.

Those dudes even look like real-deal punks from Britain.  Just a minute and 43 seconds of shred.  I feel like the drummer must be the most in shape guy in all of England.  Let's do it.

No comments: