Monday, August 31, 2026

Underscores

One Liner:  Just in case you wanted more weird EDM, you are in luck!

Wikipedia Genre:  hyperpop, pop-punk, dubstep
Home: San Francisco

Poster Position: Second Quarter - Line 10
Weekend One Only.
Sunday at 3:30

BeatBox Stage

Thoughts:  Kill me now.  April Harper Grey is another dubstep producer.  She will apparently open for Charlie XCX on tour this year.  She said that her inspiration and early influences was Skrillex and 100 Gecs.  Two influences that make sense since I immediately dislike these sounds.  She is also a trans woman.

Her early releases don't have that many streams, but by the time of the 2021 album fishmonger, she started getting a bigger audience.  Her biggest recent song that is just her is a single that was added to her new 2026 album called U.  "Music" has 8.3 million streams.

Very annoying, very nervy and stressful-sounding.  Maybe this sounds just like Charlie XCX?  I guess I will find out sooner or later when I listen to her.  But that song feels like she wanted to copy Madonna but make it ten times worse.  Her biggest streamer isn't actually her song, she is just featured on a track by something called Oklou.  Let's go older for one song and give you the top track from fishmonger, "Spoiled little brat."  10.7 million streams.

Terrible pop punk.  I was expecting for that one to be more of the Skrillex thing, not tragically awful high school talent show level dreck.  Definitely will not see this.

No comments: