Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Grocery Bag

One Liner: Local grungy psych rock blast that rules
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, alternative rock, garage rock, psych rock, grunge
Home: Austin!

Poster PositionLast Quarter - Line 19

Day: Friday at 5:15
Weekend One.

BMI Stage

Thoughts:  There we go.  The sweet sound of guitars and drums being bashed.  I have heard these dudes before - KUTX has played their tune "Last Draw" before and it was good enough for me to fumble out my phone and Shazam it for my playlists.  Here is what I said at the time: "Grocery Bag - Last Draw.  pretty sure I heard this one on KUTX on my drive home one day, and it rules.  Just pure fuzzy riffage under a gal droning menacing shit like "you'll be sorry!"  Gimme."  Only 57k streams because the youth are dumb.

Hell yeah.  And the rest of the vibe is very similar.  Menacing, fuzzy guitars, a little distortion here and there, some bashing drums and driving bass, kick ass vocals of a lady who isn't scared of you.  Makes me think of Die Spitz, since they were another Austin band like this fronted by a lady.  

The foursome hails from right here in Austin, which is cool.  Vocalist/guitarist Bella Martinez, guitarist/bassist Dillon Aitala, bassist/guitarist Logan Kerman, and drummer/guitarist/vocalist Jimmy Mercado formed at Texas, although Jimmy and Dillon had been friends in high school.  They all joined forces from a show by a band called Favor, Mercado's old band.  Only together since 2022, they haven't released just a ton of music.  One album, 2023's Break You, and then a handful of singles.  Their top streamer is one of those, a 2025 single called "Lies."  109k streams.


That one is frenetic, just a non-stop rip.  I pretty much like all of these songs - this is the stuff that makes my ears happy.  Loud and brash and fuzzy are all things I want more of.  Bring it.

No comments: