Sunday, August 30, 2026

Thomas Day

One Liner:  The #37 placekicker in America in 2021, who sings forgettable pop now

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, but this is pop, like boy band pop with guitars
Home: Brentwood TN

Poster Position: Third Quarter - Line 17.
Weekend Two Only.
Sunday at 1:15

T-Mobile Stage

Thoughts:  What is this style of singing called?  The Benson Boone?  There are just plain too many things on this poster that are just a person's name, and I am starting to realize that they are all either *this* sort of quasi-pop-rock with an annoying singer or some sort of dream pop synthwave crap.  Ugh.

I am guessing this is not the musician listed on Wikipedia, since that guy was a Choirmaster in the 17th Century.  "a singer, theorbo lutenist and choirmaster."  First, while Wikipedia is a wonderful resource, who in the hell needs to know about this dude from 1633?  Whack.

I feel like when I read about a lot of these artists now, this is the type of garbage that is written about them: "There’s an effortless vitality to the new single from Thomas Day. “she got a thing about her” swoons and serenades, the type of cut that makes you feel its magic through the electricity of the sonics, the pounding of the beat and the resonance of the lyricism."  Is that AI?  Or is that someone who is just farting out words to make this seem more important than it is? 

So he cites to Maroon 5 as an influence, saying that he got into musical theater after having a musical family (says his mom did a lot of musical theater in NYC), but then got bullied.  I have to think that Brentwood, TN is not necessarily the right place to be singing showtunes while walking the halls of the middle school.  So, he tacked on another interest, becoming his high school's star placekicker for the football team, which landed him multiple scholarship offers for college.  Something I read had him as the #37 kicker for the class of 2021.  I wish that I knew which schools had offered him.  But in the midst of this football prowess, he also went onto America's Got Talent and made it past the audition round before his senior season of football.  But then he got busy on the Internet doing covers of other people's songs, and one day woke up to 30,000 new followers.  Funny (to me at least) that he went from looking like an all American football kid to now looking like a French 23 year old who smokes cigarettes and lounges.

2023's Love Me For Another Day is his only album.  It has his top song as well, "not my job anymore" with 40.3 million streams.

See that look there with the frosted tips and broccoli hair?  All-American football guy.  I mean, the pearl necklace is maybe not quite in that wheelhouse, but you know what I mean.  Nice little love song and all of that.  Feels like he was channeling Harry Styles but his voice isn't as strong.  A 2025 single is his second most streamed with 27.2 million.  "she got a thing about her."

This is the one that made me ask about Benson Boone.  Maybe he will prove me wrong, but I very much expect that this dude will never cross my mind again after October 2026.


No comments: