One Liner: 'member Adele? I 'member
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, soul/pop, torchy belting
Home: NYC (via Massachusetts)
Poster Position: Last Quarter - Line 22
Day: Friday at 3:30
Weekend One Only.
BMI Stage
Thoughts: With that last name, I wonder if I need to be careful about talking about her. Is Uncle Pablo going to come and cut the skin off of my thumb while my watches? I guess I worry about this because I am not going to be especially complimentary here.
Her voice is awesome. Powerful belting is the constant here. Like an Adele-lite. And she is very pretty (even if I find the sunglasses she wears in a lot of her photos to look idiotic). But the music itself is terribly boring to me and very unmemorable. Feels like something that would be playing in the background of a gangster movie in the cabaret as the main characters negotiate a truce. Although, she got a song on the soundtrack for the Devil Wears Prada 2, so she must be doing something right by other folks who aren't me.
No albums yet, just on EP from 2025 called Sunny in London. Which is a funny title, since she is from Massachusetts, went to school at UCLA, and now lives in New York, and yet she sounds like she could be one of those London-raised Adele clones basing their sounds on jazz and soul. Like that one from last year, Olivia Dean. She sounds like she is going for the Olivia Dean slot here. Most of her songs seem under the radar, but one of them, has popped off - "Vendetta" has 10.1 million streams.
Sounds like that was not a good breakup. Let's do her new single as well before we move on. "Hate to Be the One" has 405k streams.
That video makes me dislike her very much. Just primping for the camera for a full three and a half minutes (and yes, I know it is a loop, but still it creeps me out). I am sure she is about to be the next big thing and I will miss out on it all, but I don't think I would go see this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment