Monday, August 31, 2026

Elijah Delgado

One Liner: Local indie rock with a Leon Bridges-lite voice
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but indie rock, indie folk, and pop
Home: Austin

Poster Position: Late Addition

Day: Friday at 2
Weekend One Only

SnapChat Stage

Thoughts:  An Austin native who calls his music indie rock lullabies.  If "Talk" is supposed to be a lullaby, the baby in question must be baby Godzilla or something.

But then "Key" hitches into that gentle folky tune vibe and I hear it.  A little David Wilcox in there for my ears.  Very pretty.  Next song ("You and I") sounds sort of like Leon Bridges' voice.  "Pipe Dream" comes on like a Gary Clark Jr. tune.  "Houdini" makes me think of Noah Kahan.  What an interesting chameleon of a guy.  

After some streaming, I think that maybe the original sound was the lullaby focus.  Now, he doesn't sound as exclusively chill (for the better).  I have enjoyed just letting this play over the last two days - it is very nice music.  His singles started in 2020, when he was a senior in high school (I wonder which high school?) with his first album - When I Was On Cloud 9 - in 2021 that collected several of those songs.  Since then, two EPs - 2025's Moonboy and 2026's Wherever You Go, There You Are.  Pretty low streams all around, with his first single winning the streaming war so far.  "Staring Competition (With the Ceiling)" has 339k streams.

Do you hear that Leon Bridges comparison that I was making before?  And you can catch the lullaby vibes in there as well.  Although when the drums kick in, it leaves the lullaby vibes and starts into a nice groove.  For the top song off of the new EP so far, this is "Talk" with 37k streams.

Hear what I mean about the lullaby for Godzilla by the end?  It starts off pretty, and then devolves into a pummeling intro to a Foo Fighters album.

He said that he has wanted to perform music since he was ten, but that the formative moment for him was watching a James Bay ACL taping on TV when he was about 13.  I wish that I had watched more ACL tapings when I was a kid.  I didn't even understand that they were a thing back then.  He said that the combined power of the lights, the bass, and the energy from the audience set something concrete into him that he has been chasing ever since.  That is cool.  HIs dad taught him a few chords on the guitar when he was little, and then he taught himself the rest using YouTube.  I like it.  I'd go watch him do this.

No comments: