Monday, August 24, 2026

Cassandra Coleman

One Liner:  Only a couple of songs, but promising folky indie rock with a great voice

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, this is folk rock, indie pop
Home: Tennessee

Poster Position: Third Quarter - Line 18
Weekend Two Only
Friday at 2pm

Tito's Tent

Thoughts:  Her top song was on the soundtrack for Nobody Wants This, which was a show that I really enjoyed.  Definitely some cringey moments, but overall a very nice story that kept us interested.

Coleman was on American Idol Season 19 (2021).  That show has disappeared from my brain - the three winners from that season ring absolutely zero bells to me - Chayce Beckham?  Willie Spence?  Grace Kinstler?  Nope.  She performed Aurora's "Running With the Wolves" (never heard of it) in the first round, Sigma's "Find Me" (never heard of it) and One Direction's "Apologize" in the second round, Maggie Rogers' excellent "Light On" and Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" in the third round, Sam Smith's "Writing's on the Wall" (from the Spectre soundtrack) for the Top 12, and then got eliminated with "Go the Distance" from the Disney movie Hercules.

Her debut single was produced by Jack Antonoff and recorded with the entire Bleachers band.  The bio I just read said that she grew up in rural Tennessee near the Blue Ridge mountains.  I wonder where, exactly?  She says she was obsessed with music since childhood, and her dad introduced her to lots of classic rock while her mom played her James Taylor and John Denver (solid background - wish she was recreating it here!).  She was working at Trader Joe's until just recently, but now is giving the music thing a full send.

Only five total songs available on Spotify, so not just a ton to go off of.  But I like it generally.  A little Maggie Rogers sound, maybe some lite Florence in there.  Here is the top song from the TV show, "Bite My Tongue" with 4.6 million streams.

My red-headed sister!  Don't murder that big old tree!  Also, you should use a real axe and not that mattock.  Going to really hurt your hands!  More Maggie feels to me, maybe a little HAIM in there as well.  I wonder if Antonoff/Bleachers did this one too?

Second-biggest streamer is "Moonbeam" with 957k streams.

Great voice.  The tune under it is fine, but it is her voice that has me paying attention.  "Maggie" is really good (gives me some Sheryl Crow vibes), and "Coming of Age," that debut with Antonoff, is good as well.  I agree with her that the drums kicking in at the end are cool.  She's good!  I'd check it out!

No comments: