One Liner: Generic pop now veering into Limp Bizkit
Wikipedia Genre: pop, hip hop, rap rock, alternative
Home: L.A. (but from Fort Wayne, Ind., I feel like you need to know this)
Poster Position: Bottom Quarter - Line 21
Day: Sunday at 5:30
Weekend One Only.
BMI Stage
Thoughts: Oh boy. Her most popular song right now features Fred Durst. That was not what I was expecting to happen in 2026. Has kind of a Limp Bizkit sound too, with a little rap/beat thing plus grinding riffage. Just going to give you that one now because this is an artist I need to just write about and move on from so that I can enjoy the rest of my day. 3 million streams.
I mean, that sucks. And I have a deeply guilty pleasure love for two of those Limp Bizkit albums and a happy memory of times driving around Dallas when I lived there and feeling extremely tough to yell along with songs a lot like that. But Fred should not be keeping this same schtick going 30 years after he originally annoyed people with it. Her biggest streamer overall is not her song, it is a song by something called G Flip. And it is called "GAY 4 ME," so I am getting a theme here from her.
The first line of her Wikipedia Early Life just says that she grew up the only child of divorced parents. So? Is that so weird? But, by 2014, she had created a YouTube personality that was awarded "Most Influential Up & Comer" at the Indiana Social Media Summit six months after graduating high school. NO WAY! Why didn't you say so!!! I make fun, but she was getting over a million views a day on her channel, so I'm over here writing this post for 24 people to read. SMBAU. She started doing motivational presentations and support for kids whose parents were unsupportive, and then started making raps to reduce her stress.
Four albums - 2018's Spaces, 2020's Midwest Kids Can Make It Big, 2022's Death of a Fantasy, and 2026's Lauren. Top streamer comes from that 2020 album, this is "But I Like It" with 8.8 million streams.
This is what much of her catalog sounds like - less like the rap rock Fred Durst cosplay, and more like generic pop where she is trying to vamp and sing in cursive. I don't love it, and it doesn't help that her scary visage is reminding me of a family member who stresses me out. I am for sure not going to see this. If Fred Durst comes out and they cover "Rollin" together I will be very sad.
No comments:
Post a Comment