One Liner: Spanish language indie pop with some groove
Poster Position: Third Quarter - Line 14.
Both Weekends.
Sunday at 2pm
Tito's Tent
Thoughts: Funny thing. When this kicked off, I immediately went "well, nevermind, Spanish language pop ain't going to get me anywhere." And then half an hour later I noticed myself grooving in my office chair. I have no clue what she is going on about, but the beat and cadence is still capturing me. Also, "que ves en mi?" sounds kind of like a Wet Leg song, the one about how you think she's pretty and you think she's pretty cool.
Andrea Paloma Barrios Gomez Álvarez Morphy actually used to be a lawyer. She had always loved music, but wasn't seeing that as a viable career, so she kept posting little songs on the side as she did the law. A song popped, and she gave up driminal law to pursue her career in music, and was then rewarded with the Best New Artist at the 2025 Latin Grammy awards. Pretty good! Also, for all of you lawyers out there - shout out from Paloma: "“There’s a reason I endured five years of that incredibly boring career..."
One album - 2025's Au. Not a ton of streams for any of it, but her top track by quite a bit is "lo que un dia fue," which translates to "what once was." I hope the lyrics of the song are all about going to her boring office in a Mexico City suburb and reviewing documents all day. 11.4 million streams.
I don't expect that I will go see this, but she caught me off guard with some good groove.
No comments:
Post a Comment