One Liner: Cool, chill indie rock vibes from an ex-Gray's Anatomy (minor) actor
Poster Position: Bottom Quarter - Line 24
Weekend One Only.
Saturday at 12:45
BMI Stage.
Thoughts: I was really hoping for some angry metal, but I will settle for a person singing over a guitar. Does anyone out there remember My Brightest Diamond? (True confession, I was thinking it was called My Prettiest Diamond and had to go look it up) Anyway, sometimes this voice reminds me of her voice. I like it. Especially on the great cover of "I Will Follow You Into the Dark." I think I am realizing a pattern that I like the music on the bottom half of the poster more than the supposedly popular stuff.
Now here is an odd juxtaposition of things I did not expect. Emmett Rogers Fightmaster (apparently their legit surname), known professionally as E. R. Fightmaster, is an American actor, producer, and writer. Fightmaster is known for their work on Grey's Anatomy as Dr. Kai Bartley. That was season 3,982 of the show, and we had given up on it by then. This passage from a Greys fandom website makes me remember why: "Kai then asked if Amelia could return to Minnesota soon to help them work out some kinks. Amelia said she would. Kai then helped Amelia get some relief from the heat by having her imagine being somewhere very cold." WTF man. Why didn't we think of that for all of the people dying of heatstroke right now? "Imagine you're cold!" "Oh man, I'm all better! Thanks Dr. Bartley!"
They earned a degree from DePaul University in Chicago, and then joined Second City's Chicago company. Since then, they have appeared in a Hulu show named Shrill and a film called Sorry, Baby. I don't know those. They were in a musical duo named Twin (which I also don't recognize) and started this solo project as well.
That solo music started in 2023 with an EP called Violence, then a 2024 EP called Bloodshed Baby, and finally a 2026 album called Tolerance. It is a legitimately cool sound. I have been enjoying the chill indie vibe. Their Wikipedia doesn't say what style of music this is, but it sounds like folky indie rock to me.
"Bad Man," and early single and on that first EP, is the top streamer with 3.4 million on Spotify.
I like the closed captions on that one, where as they start to sing, it just says [music]. Has kind of a sped up Lucy Dacus feel too. "Wild One," off the new album, is a fun little bop. From her new album, the top track is "Quicksand" with 393k streams.
Another good, tight little tune. The title makes me think of the great little line of jokes on Twitter and whatnot about how when we were little, we were led to believe that quicksand was going to be one of the biggest dangers of the rest of our lives. So true. From Princess Bride to Blazing Saddles and in between. But I really enjoy that one too.
I'm sure they are about to get assigned the noon on Sunday slot, but this is something that I will enjoy even aside from the Festival. Let's go!
No comments:
Post a Comment