Sunday, August 30, 2026

New Constellations

One Liner:  the 80’s called and they want their synths back

Wikipedia Genre:  Dream pop, synthwave
Home: Portland, OR

Poster Position: Third Quarter - Line 16.
Weekend One Only.
Friday at 2:30

T-Mobile Stage

Thoughts:  Man, I am probably over-generalizing, but it really feels like we are overloaded with this sort of thing.  Synth heavy, overly-dramatic female vocals, vibey but entirely forgettable pop.  That is probably more rude than I wanted it to be, but its like Sylvan Esso reboots are all over this poster.  And I don't like it.

Childhood friends Harlee Case and Josh Smith met at church when they were teenagers, and made their first song in his childhood bedroom. Yeah, they did.  After high school, they went off and did things with other people and themselves, but in 2015 she put out a note on Instagram that she was looking for collaborators for a band, and Josh popped back up.

Just one album, 2026's It Comes in Waves.  If I stop being a hater and am being honest, I think "Sun Chasing the Rain" is actually a really nice song.  But the big hit was a 2021 single that was re-used for the new album.  "Hot Blooded" is by far their biggest song at 137.8 million streams.

Sounds like Depeche Mode making a guest appearance on Stranger Things with a guest vocalist.  Haha, I just made myself laugh.  I was trying to come up with something else to say and instead just sighed very loud and very long.  I just absolutely do not care for this song.  I'm sure it is fine, but I have heard it four times now and still could not tell you anything about it.

Second-biggest streamer is "Think It Over," a b-side to a 2025 single that didn't make the album. 16.2 million streams.

Same feeling for this one.  Very good homage to the 80's sound that we all should have left behind before these two musicians were even born.  Sorry if I am being rude, I just don't care for this at all and want to move on.

No comments: