Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Damaris Bojor

One Liner:  Spanish language, and at least to my ear, pretty traditional

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, this is folkpirano (duh)
Home: Mexico

Poster Position: Bottom Quarter - Line 23
Weekend Two Only
Saturday at 1:45

BMI Stage

Thoughts:  The funny thing is that in just about every case where the singer isn't using English, I am immediately a hard no.  However, I have actually been kind of grooving along to this gal.

She is from Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico, and claims to have created a new genre called Folkpirano.  She says "Folkpirano is a blend of campirano, regional music of Sierra de Sonora, Sinaloa and American folk/country. The sound is string music. One guitar, a twelve string, bass, and occasional harmonica and percussion. I consider Miguel Y Miguel to be the roots of the genre.”  I don't know how to tell it apart from other Mexican traditional music, but either her voice or the grooves in here have kept me from moving on.  Of course, I have no clue what she is talking about, so that is slightly less fun.

Her first single was in 2022, and then a full album with 2025's Folkpirana.  Her most recent single is a pop cover that I am sure I should know, but I am going to have to look it up.  It is "All The Things She Said" by t.A.T.u.  I was expecting something that I actually recognized like The Backstreet Boys or something...  Oh well.  Her top track is "Miro Al Cielo," which means I look at the sky.  1 million streams.

Very gentle and pretty tune.  I hope the lyrics aren't about drowning herself.  Her second most streamed is "Nube de paso," which means pass cloud.  She really likes the sky, huh?  657k streams.

Hell yeah.  Tuba in the background of a song from Mexico will always be my jam.  Also, before I go - DAH-mah-rees BOH-hor.


No comments: