Sunday, August 30, 2026

Coleman Jennings

One Liner:  Old school classic country by a young UT student

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, this is country, folk, Americana
Home: Austin!

Poster Position: Bottom Quarter - Line 22.
Weekend One Only. 
Saturday at 3:30

BMI Stage

Thoughts:  My guy is a pretty good whistler.  Also, I am guessing he is not the American philanthropist who died in 1978.  I did not know, until reading that Wiki entry, that there really was a "Community Chest" - I thought that was just a Monopoly phrase.

Anyway, this fella sounds very much like a throwback to the old school.  Songs full of vibrato and whistles and classic country flourishes.  It sounds honestly great.

A few EPs and then finally a 2026 album called Lead You Home.  His first single is still his most popular track, "Wildflowers & Tears" has 632k streams.

Good, basic country sound right there.  Like Chris LeDoux telling me a hard-scrabble story of country pain.  He's got Dave Cobb producing him (who also produced folks like Stapleton).  He was born in New York, lived in CT until he was seven, but has called Austin home ever since.  As he was first releasing this music, he was still a full-time UT student studying English.  At first, he had a little band called Coleman Jennings and the Roaddogs, and they would play frat parties and tailgates - anything to get a show together.  But now he has signed with Big Loud (massive artists like Morgan Wallen or Miranda Lambert, small local-ish guys like Dylan Gossett and The Droptines).

His top track from the new album is called "Head Spinning" and has 359k streams.

Again, pretty solid.  I didn't use any of his songs with the whistling, but I promise that he is a pretty legit whistler.  I like a good whistle in a country tune.

No comments: