Thursday, August 27, 2026

Charlotte Lawrence

One Liner:  More pop schlock, this time with famous parents!

Wikipedia Genre:  electropop
Home: L.A.

Poster Position: Third Quarter - Line 13
Weekend Two Only
Sunday at 2:45

T-Mobile Stage

Thoughts:  This first song sounds very much like Taylor Swift to me.  Odd thing, ACL for some reason seems to book a lot of Charlottes.  When I just searched to make sure this one hadn't already been here, I have written ACL reviews about Charlotte OC, Charlotte Cardin, Charlotte Sands, and Charlotte Adigery.  And Charli xcx's real name is Charlotte.  It doesn't feel like quite that popular of a name, and yet here we are on our fifth person using the name in their stage name.  Now, this next song I am hearing sounds like Billie Eilish.

Her mother is the fantastic Liz Bishop in Shrinking - Christa Miller.  She has apparently been in lots of things, but I have never seen Scrubs or Cougar Town, and don't remember her roles in Seinfeld (as a prospective boss to George and then later as a girlfriend to George named Paula).  Charlotte's father is TV producer Bill Lawrence, who (hey, what a shocker!) produced or co-created Scrubs and Cougar Town, as well as Ted Lasso, Shrinking, and Rooster.  Those last three shows are all fantastic.  He was also a KA at William & Mary, so he probably has a confederate flag somewhere in his attic.

Unfortunately, her parents are infinitely more interesting than her music, which is generic pop.  Prior to releasing any music of her own, she was featured on the Kaskade single "Cold as Stone" in 2018, and then started releasing her own EPs.  In addition to the singing, she is a model who has been featured in Teen Vogue and Harper's Bazaar.  She has also taken to acting, appearing in something called Doctor Odyssey and in the relatively funny Bad Monkey as Caitlin.  Which was executive produced by her Dad.

Two EPs, tons of singles, and one 2025 album named Somewhere.  None of the songs on that album have really popped off - most are in the 200k-300k range, with only one breaking 5 million.  That one is called "Morning" and has 5.5 million.

Very cinematic video.  I wonder if Dad executive produced that one as well.  Perfectly nice little pop rock song with a little too much breathiness for my taste.  Although, she really should consider getting a mattress.  Sleeping on hardwood floors will be a nightmare for your back, girl.  Her top song by a good amount is the single she had placed on the Birds of Prey (DC Comics thing) movie, called "Joke's On You."  148.1 million streams.

Funny thing about those superhero movies by now.  I expect I probably saw that movie, but I have zero recollection of anything that might have happened in it.  This girl could have played a major character in it for all I know.  I don't think so, but coulda happened.  These songs are fine.  They are definitely not actively bad, but they I can't remember anything about them after spending a day and a half streaming them.  Doubt I would go to this.

No comments: