One Liner: Mumble-jumbled, auto-tuned rage rap
Poster Position: Third Quarter - Line 13
Weekend One Only
Friday at 7:30
The Internet says that she was going to open for North West, but that tour got abruptly cancelled. When I couldn't find her on the Schedule, I thought that mean that she too had been cancelled, but my issue was that I never in my wildest dreams thought I should look at the top of the bill, against the Chainsmokers and Leon Thomas. WTF?
Thoughts: Seems like a bad thing when Wikipedia says you are best known for being featured on a 2026 Drake song from one of those lame three discs he released all at once to try to get attention back after Kendrick crushed his soul. I am guessing the title of that song - "Ran to Atlanta" - is a nod to Kendrick's verse about Drake being a colonizer and running to Atlanta when he needs some street cred. But her verse on this song is entirely forgettable, so it feels like a bummer that this is supposedly what she is best known for.
Her early bio is interesting - pre-teen Santana taught herself how to play My Chemical Romance and Pierce the Veil songs on guitar, later became a fashion influencer online, and then moved to Japan to study fashion before dropping out to pursue music full-time. I wanted to unpack the fact that one of her genres is "rage." "This style was defined by the use of bass heavy 808s, screamed autotune vocals and aggressive production." The name came from a Trippie Redd and Payboi Carti track called "Miss the Rage" that was about them missing mosh pits during the pandemic. After a few songs, I fear that "rage" is the type of rap that I do not like.
Four albums - 2022's Neptune (no songs with more than a million streams), 2023's Melange (two songs in the million stream zone), 2024's Molly Santana (a few bigger streamers), and 2025's Molly and Her Week of Wonders. Top streamer after the Drake tune is from the self-titled album and is called "So Right." 17.6 million streams and all the auto-tune you might desire.
Her only other song that cracks the 10 million threshold is "Windows Up" from the 2024 EP called Masonic Musik. 11.1 million streams.
I am good to miss out on this experience. With the absolute dearth of rap on this poster this year, I was hopeful that this one might have been a winner, but not for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment