Monday, August 31, 2026

Britton

One Liner:  Generic R&B-ish pop

Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, this is R&B-ish pop
Home: Toledo, OH

Poster Position: Third Quarter - Line 16

Weekend One Only.
Sunday at 2pm.

Beatbox Stage.

Thoughts:  Just the first song already has \me turned off to this one.  Very overly breathy and affected voice on top of generic pop sounds.  The tiny bio I found on Apple Music says "Ashlee Britton Robinson aka Britton is [sic] blends R&B and electronic-influences [sic] into her own emotionally vulnerable and sonically layered alt-pop."  Another bio paragraph claims she is from New York and is making waves in the indie pop market.  Another agrees that she is from Toledo, Ohio, who moved to L.A. in 2020 to pursue music full-time and claims that her music lives at the intersection of dark pop confessionals and cinematic vulnerability.  WTF does that even mean?  But here is why she was signed to a music label - "Britton comes to Position with an impressive following across streaming and social media with 1.4M+ on Tik Tok, 316K+ on Instagram, 220K+ on YouTube and 200K+ on Spotify." 

All singles from 2018 to 2026, when she finally released an album - Loving You Almost Killed Me.  No song on the album has more than 3.1 million streams.  One of her singles, 2021's "To My Younger Self" is the big hit, with 24.2 million streams.

Well that shit is super depressing.  I also find that sort of song very off-putting - maybe it helped someone going through a hard time and was great to help!  But it also feels like a money grab of someone cynically trying to figure out how to get a viral hit by mentioning mental health and platitudes about being a survivor.  Maybe I am the cynic.

The biggest tune on the album is "clawmarks" with 3 million streams.

That does nothing for me at all.  I find it fascinating that the first handful of YouTube comments are all stuff like "I guess I'll play this on repeat for the rest of my life" or "your voice is so angelic and pure every song is something different and there all very relatable" or "this is a masterpiece."  Not for me, Russian bot commenters!  Hope y'all enjoy your time at the BeatBox stage!

Speaking of the Beatbox drinks?  Woof.  Those things taste like butt and will turn an otherwise enjoyable music listening experience into a blur.  We got a handful of them for free one year and, because I am a cheap bastard who would not want to waste alcohol (even if it does taste like truck stop air freshener), I fired those suckers down and then lost the next few hours.  Avoid.

No comments: