One Liner: Pop that actually got me pulled in
Wikipedia Genre: pop, alternative pop, electropop
Home: London
Poster Position: Bottom Quarter - Line 20
Day: Saturday at 5:15
Second Weekend Only
BMI Stage
Thoughts: Out here messing with the "u comes after q" rules, while also making me sing her name as though she was the title character in a Stankonia track.
Chloe Qi Sha Lim was born in Malaysia and attended school in Kuala Lumpur until moving to England to go to a boarding school. She attended university and ended up with a degree in Psychology and a Masters in Communication. During that time, she started uploading song covers to YouTube. She calls her music "nostalgic alternative pop" and cites influences like ABBA and Troye Sivan (I have heard that name but it rings no bells). She also says "Teenage Dream" is the "backbone of my catalogue." Which, sure? "Baby Girl" actually has some Katy Perry funk bass in there that reminds me of a different Katy Perry song. What is the one where they chant TGIF? "Last Friday Night," that is the one.
No albums, just EPs from 2024 and 2025 and then a pile of singles. Biggest track without a doubt is "21st Century Cool Girl" with 10 million streams.
That opening piano, and maybe just because the mighty Dolly Parton passed away today, is giving me "9 to 5" vibes. I wonder if intentional? The voice and lyrics sound more like one of the confessional love songs of Olivia Rodrigo. I like it. "Evelyn" has a Rodrigo sound too - leaves some of the synths and Katy Perry thing behind for banging drums and some riffs.
Her current most popular track is the 2025 single with a great name - "Sex, Drugs & Existential Dread" with 4.9 million streams.
That one sounds like St. Vincent on that MASSEDUCTION album. She also really likes to hang out in her panties in her videos. The song is pretty fun either way...
I have actually enjoyed her. I figured someone with a Katy Perry song as the backbone of their artistry was going to be terrible, but I keep finding myself grooving along.
No comments:
Post a Comment