One Liner: Lovely and unremarkable dream pop
Poster Position: Third Quarter - Line 14.
Both Weekends.
Sunday at 2pm
Snapchat Stage
Thoughts: Since I note the year when artists come, when they are repeat customers, up there in the title, this one looks funny because now it looks like they are coming to play in the year when I graduated high school. But that is apparently part of the band name. They claim that their first song was written on a Sunday, and the 1994 references both the birth year of the lead singer and the aesthetic their music is after.
Has kind of an early 90's dream pop, new wave vibe - maybe that is shoegaze? - and sometimes the singer sounds pouty the way that Gwen Stefani does and sometimes she makes me think of the Best Coast singer. They are a very international outfit with a singer from L.A. (who was formerly in something called Xylo), a guitarist from Slough, England (formerly in Viva Brother and Lovelife), and a drummer named Puma who is from Lima, Peru. The singer and guitarist met in 2014 and were collaborating together, writing music for others, before the pandemic hit and they started making their own stuff and shoving it onto TikTok.
They sort of have two albums, although what they did is release an UP and then later add some more songs to that and call it an album. I just want people to release normal albums, man. I also am a little torn on this - on the one hand, I am very tired of every band on this poster being some form of indie dream pop with female singer - but on the other hand I have enjoyed this music being the unobtrusive background music for a morning of work. But that is part of the problem - will this be any fun in a sweaty, dusty park setting? Feels like something you chill out with, not something you get hyped for in a crowd.
Top track is "Tired Boy" from the 2024 self-titled EP (and then deluxe repackaging that same year). 5 million streams.
See what I mean? Lovely little tune to soundtrack another activity where it won't bother your concentration because it will just make for pretty background noise. We'll do one more just for more context. This is "Rain" from the 2025 EP/album Devotion. 2.1 million streams.
That shot of an orange tree just made me think of an article I just read. Did you know that all of the orange groves in Florida are dying? Like, all of them? Some new disease that causes the oranges to stay green and fall off of the tree early because the vascular system of the tree gets choked off. And apparently 100% of the trees have the disease. Insane. Anyway, another gently pretty little tune to vibe out to.
Don't think I would go see this. Maybe in a little club with seats or something, but I'm not catching the vibe for mega Festival.
No comments:
Post a Comment