Monday, August 31, 2026

Solya

One Liner:  Dreamy, torchy, Americana and indie tunes from Abilene, of all places

Wikipedia Genre:  Alternative rock, dream pop, indie rock, Americana
Home: Abilene, Texas

Poster Position: Third Quarter - Line 16

Weekend One Only.
Sunday at 1:15 pm.

T-Mobile Stage.

Thoughts:  That is a weird list of Wikipedia genres.  I would generally say that I do not want for my alternative rock bands to also play dream pop.  Also strange, the second artist from Abilene this week.  NEW LIVE MUSIC CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!!!

Solya Ava Lowe is all of 20 years old - born in 2006! - who began playing piano at age six and later figured out the guitar and synths.  She started by releasing her own music as a teenager, but then signed with a label and got started on her album by recording in Lockhart, Texas.  She's really trying to keep it real with the small-ish Texas towns.  As I listen to the tunes, I guess I understand the weird genre mixture up there.  Because some of this sounds sort of like Lana Del Rey doing Lucinda Williams, while other bits feel more straight indie rock.  It's odd, but I like it better than a lot of the pop stuff that has been on this area of the poster.

A 2023 EP, a 2024 EP, and then the 2026 album Queen of Texas.  None of the songs on the new album have really blown it up just yet, only one cracks three million streams.  "Movie Star."

Torchy little tune.  Nice background music, not entirely sure it would be a tune that I would go out of my way to go and see played live in a field at 1 in the afternoon though.  Her biggest streamer is a 2023 single called "Tear Me Apart" with 12.2 million streams.

You could almost see this being a mid-90's tune from some female-led rock band who will be playing the Lilith Fair.  Or maybe a Mitski song.  It is overall a kind of fun change of pace from a lot of the straight pop on this poster, where you can hear real instruments being played and arrangements of them that are sort of cheeky and fun.  But also, not so sure I see myself getting there early for this one.


No comments: