Sunday, August 30, 2026

Young Miko

One Liner:  Puerto Rican reggaeton lady with lots of famous collabs

Wikipedia Genre:  Latin trap, Latin R&B, reggaeton
Home: Rico

Poster Position: Top Quarter - Line 3
Both Weekends. 
Saturday at 4:30

American Express Stage

Thoughts: DAMMIT!  I don't know why, but I was certain that this was going to be a rapper.  Do y'all remember FEID from last year's poster?  This guy's top song is actually that guy's song, that this guy appears on.  I can't tell which one of them is nasally yelping in Auto-tuned Spanish, but I know that I dislike it immensely.

Oh, wait.  She is the lady singing behind the yelping in that song.  She is not a reggaeton bro, she is a reggaeton lady.  

I have had this thought before, and it is just an interesting thought exercise.  Probably shows some latent racism inside of me that I still have not been able to shake over the years.  But it is really interesting to think of how when you walk by certain construction sites where Hispanic people might be working, you frequently hear a certain style of music playing inside of the house.  Or like if you go to the shop where I take my vehicle, it is always pegged to a classic rock station.  And so it makes you wonder whether an immigrant from Mexico rolls their eyes when they hear Foreigner followed by Van Halen followed by Journey followed by David Bowie, because in their mind those all sound just the same and it is so weird that someone would listen to those things.  Anyway, I say this because all of the reggaeton-type music sounds similar to me, where a moment ago I was like, "this could be Bad Bunny for all I know" and it actually was.

María Victoria Ramírez de Arellano Cardona is a Puerto Rican rapper/singer who apparently used to play soccer professionally and for P.R.  That is actually interesting - I didn't think about Puerto Rico having its own national soccer team - seems like they should be playing for the U.S.?  She got her start by writing raps over beats she found on YouTube, and was also a tattoo artist as she was working on her music.  Her 2022 debut EP was called Trap Kitty, but most of her early notoriety came from being featured with Feid, Bad Bunny, Karol G and other artists.  She was even there at the Super Bowl halftime show for Bad Bunny.

Her collab-heavy world makes it harder to find the songs that are just her.  That Feid track has 1.2 billion streams, but that isn't her song.  Of her top ten, only four appear to be her own song, and one still features FEID.  I'll give you "WASSUP," with 184 million streams, and an instantly recognizable sound like Lil Wayne's Lollipop.

I find that one sort of boring.  Maybe if I had any clue what she was saying other than WASSUP, then maybe it would feel better.  That is a lot of tattoos.  That track was on her 2025 album called Do Not Disturb.  Why use English in the name of the album but not sing in English?  She has a 2023 single that had a lot of streams too - "Lisa" has 304.3 million.

Sure.  Kind of a basic beat, but the flow sounds pretty good.  No clue what she's rapping about, but I find myself kind of bumping along to it anyway.  Not going to go see it.  But have fun if you want to get into it.

No comments: