One Liner: Self-taught, self-produced indie psych rock fella
Poster Position: Second Quarter - Line 10.
Weekend One Only.
Friday at 3:30
BeatBox Stage.
Thoughts: Japanese and Mexican heritage, entirely self-produced, and sorta funky. The section of these tunes that I am in right now is making me think of Khrungbin. He was named the Luck Reunion Artist on the Rise in 2025, so it makes some sense that we snagged him for the Fest.
He apparently played drums in the middle school marching and symphonic bands, but fell in love with music because of the jams his dad would play around the house - RHCP, Zep, Floyd - and so he shifted out to join the high school jazz band and go a little further afield with his sounds. He sold his X-Box as a sophomore in high school, bought an electric guitar, and became obsessed with making sounds. he then began mastering the other instruments so that he could be a one man band. After high school, he started busking and was successful enough to feel like he could really give it a go. So, he got a job at a Guitar Center (lol) and started using his earnings for equipment to master and produce his own stuff. That is so cool.
A couple EPs, with only one true album - 2022's Monterrey Village. The photo on the cover is awesome - shirtless in overalls with a sombrero and cowboy boots at about age 4, holding a play guitar and looking at the camera. The top track is from that album - "when sunday comes around" has 20.9 million streams.
Got an indie rock thing with a little psych rock flavor in there. Sounds kind of like a lot of indie rock artists right now, but I think some of the other tunes on the disc are even better. Like, "buen provecho" has some of that funky instrumental groove that I love. "novocaine" is snappy as hell. "Skin" reminds me of Unknown Mortal Orchestra, who I like a lot. Let's do that one, a recent single off of his 2026 EP called Half Moon. 857k streams.
Digging the groove. I have enjoyed this one. At times, I wonder if he is pretty generic and sounds like a lot of other things, but then I just find myself cruising along and enjoying the ride. I'd go check him out to do his thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment